In spring we are anxious for beauty. 🌷 But usually, we welcome it with pale, dull, dehydrated and tired after winter skin, with dry hands, sloughing heels, and static hair.
In this post, we will tell you about nuances in the skincare in the spring time and about products that you must have in your makeup bag to bloom like a “rose de Mai’.
Daily facial treatment in spring
The basic steps of care are the same — cleansing – toning – cream. But, of course, facial treatment in spring time has its special aspects.
Step 1 | Cleansing
For makeup removal in spring, choose light textures — milk, hydrophilic oil, micellar water. Set thick fatty creams for makeup removal aside until next winter.
For washing oily and problem skin in the spring time, choose soft sulfate-free gels and air facial washes for dry and sensitive skin. It will be good if your washing aids will contain a complex of vitamins and antioxidants.
Step 2 | Toning
For face toning in the spring time, use moisturizing, antioxidant tonics or herbal distillates according to your skin type: with witch hazel, sage, rosemary for oily and problem skin and chamomile, lavender, and linden for dry and sensitive skin.
After winter the skin is dehydrated and requires additional moisture. Therefore, add moisturizing sprays and thermal waters to your treatment procedures in the spring time.
Step 3 | Face cream for the spring time
Switch from thicker protective winter creams to lighter textures – creams, soufflé, mousse, rich emulsions. But do not rush to immediately jump to super-light fluids and gels. In the spring time, the skin needs lipids (oils, ceramides) to support the epidermal barrier that is weakened by winter frosts, winds, and temperature variations.
In addition to lipids, “competent” face cream for the springtime shall contain:
- vitamins — the spring avitaminosis affects the skin directly, and it needs additional support not only from the inside but also from the outside;
- vasculoprotective components — they stimulate microcirculation, strengthen the blood vessels and refresh the complexion;
- “competent” moisturizing components — they restore the water balance and saturate the skin dehydrated during the winter with moisture;
- antioxidants — UV radiation becomes more active with each spring month, antioxidants will strengthen and support the natural defence system of the skin.
What to look for on a label: amino acids, urea, lactic acid, hyaluronic acid, sorbitol, algae, chitosan, squalane, collagen, elastin, aloe Vera, glycerin, vitamins (especially C, E, A), alpha-lipoic acid, resveratrol, copper peptides, selenium, lycopene, green tea, horse chestnut, butcher’s-broom, arnica, ginkgo biloba, Gotu kola.
Spring is the right time for vitamin creams and creams from anti-stress and detox lines. Such products are indispensable for after-winter tired, dull, flabby skin. For example Anti-stress cream or Multivitamin cream with SPF10.
They enhance local immunity and protective systems of the skin, improve its microcirculation, slightly lighten, moisturize, smooth, grapple with signs of fatigue, revitalize, improve complexion, and enhance skin freshness and vibrancy. The very thing after a severe winter.
If you distinguish between day and night creams, remember the “golden rule”:
- When the temperature outside is above +7⁰C, we apply a moisturizer in the morning and a nourishing cream in the evening.
- When the temperature outside is below +7⁰C, on the contrary, we apply a nourishing cream in the morning and a moisturizer in the evening.
∼ SPF of a cream for the spring time ∼
In March and April, the period of the active sun begins, which will last until October. Free radicals “wake up”. After the winter “holidays” they are generous, fresh, and ready to attack your defenceless, after-winter-weakened skin.
Therefore, if you use creams with SPF all year round, firstly, you are well done, and secondly you should go to a higher sun protection factor in the spring time. And if you do not use sunscreen creams at all, it’s time to start.
Look for a day cream with SPF or a separate sunscreen preparation. The SPF shall be at least 15, and better — from 30. You never apply as much as necessary, and in fact the protection degree will always be less. In pregnancy, lactation, or adolescence periods, or in presence of any hormonal changes in the body, as well as with a tendency or presence of pigmentation, choose an SPF from 30, and better – from 50.
Intensive face care in the spring time
The main goal of the intensified care in the spring time is to restore the skin that has lost its nerve after winter to life. Replenish vitamins and moisture, refresh, part from a gray complexion and return the blush. Spring peelings, masks, and sera rush to the rescue.
Should we do peeling in the spring? Strong chemical peels shall not be carried out during the active sun period (from March to October). The risk of pigmentation and irritation is too high. However, this does not mean that all peels are forbidden in the spring time. In spring you can do:
- Soft chemical peeling – milk, almond, apple, lemon, with a low percentage of acids and high pH. They act delicately and do not cause photosensitivity.
- Enzyme peeling. Spring is a good time for enzymes. They gently peel and clean, keep the results after a course of winter chemical peels, do not cause photosensitivity, and are suitable for any skin type.
Face masks in spring
- Detox masks. In early spring, “arm” yourself with a good detox-mask on the basis of mud from the Dead Sea, sea sludge, kaolin, green clay, or Moroccan Hassoule. They deeply cleanse the skin not only from external pollutions, but also from slag and toxins accumulated during the winter.
- Alginate masks. Alginates are good in any season, but they are must-have in the spring. They will remove toxins and slag, moisturize, saturate with minerals and vitamins, refresh and lift the tired skin. Choose alginate masks according your skin type and a problem to be solved and use them in tandem with ampoule sera for super results.
- Moisturizing masks. Moisturizing is never too much, but after winter, the dehydrated skin especially needs moisture. It dries, flakes, and looks dull and lifeless. Therefore, intensive moisturizing masks in the spring time are mandatory. The texture of spring masks should be light – gel or cream-gel. Look for such ingredients as amino acids, urea, lactic acid, hyaluronic acid, sorbitol, algae, chitosan, squalane, collagen, elastin, aloe Vera, glycerin. All these components not only capture moisture, but also contribute to its long-term retention.
- Vitamin sera. Vitamin C sera are a must-have part of the spring facial treatment. They stimulate the synthesis of collagen, elastin, and hyaluronic acid, moisturize, slightly lighten and even out, and return a fresh flowering look to even the most tired skin.
- Moisturizing sera. To replenish skin moisture, use active sera with proper moisturizers. And ampoule concentrated sera are perfect for moisturizing alginate masks. After this tandem you will definitely become “peaches and cream”.
- Antioxidant. In addition to a “competent” spring cream, buy a good antioxidant serum and use it daily. Antioxidants do not happen much. Especially in the spring.
Body and hair care in the spring time
- Heels and palms. In winter, we often miss moisturizing and forget to apply hand and foot creams on time. As a result, in the spring we get dry palms and rough heels. To restore the skin quickly, take a course of paraffin therapy, go to the SPA manicure and pedicure, moisturize your hands intensively during the day, and apply a nourishing regenerating cream on your palms and feet and wear over mittens and socks on nights.
- Hair. In spring, hair that has suffered during the winter from temperature changes, frost, dryness, and heating needs a course of intensive moisturizing therapy. In addition to moisturizing shampoo and conditioners you should buy a good moisturizing mask for hair and use it more often – 2-4 times a week. If you have damaged, dry, dyed hair, apply the mask every day instead of the conditioner. Use oils after washing, spray a moisturizing spray throughout the day, and get an SPF hair spray. So your curls come to life as quickly as possible.
- Self-tanner. In order not to scare anyone with lilac post-winter legs, buy a good self-tanner, best of all – gel. The more transparent the tanner, the less the risk of stripes and spots. Apply it after the scrub on the pre-moistened skin. The main task is to wait until the moisturizer is completely absorbed and then rub the tanner dry. There should not be a feeling of stickiness. Then your cloths will remain white, and your tan will be even.
- SPF. Do not forget about SPF-protection. Even in a city. Of course, if you go to work in an office for the whole day, the SPF for body is not particularly relevant. But when walking in a park on a day off in the middle of the spring, SPF 30 is a must thing.
- The basic elements of care in the spring do not change. They are always the same – cleansing, toning, cream.
- For makeup removal in the spring time, choose milks, micellar water, or hydrophilic oils. For washing, choose gels and washes according to your skin type. For toning, choose moisturizing, antioxidant tonics, and herbal distillates.
- A “competent” spring cream has a texture of a mousse or soufflé, contains lipids, moisturizers, antioxidants, vasculoprotective components, vitamins, surely, SPF from15, and better from 30.
- Strong chemical peels should be set aside until autumn. Go to soft chemical and enzymatic ones.
- Must-have things for skin care in the spring time — moisturizing and detox masks, alginates and sera with Vitamin C.
- Buy a good self-tanner, SPF for body and hair, moisturizing line for chic curls, and take a course of paraffin therapy to have soft and gentle palms and heels.
Do you take care of your skin in spring? Share in the comments.