The apricot kernel oil has been serving beauty and health for hundreds of years. It can still be found in modern cosmetic formulas, and it works just fine.
Apricot kernel oil is obtained from the kernels (or seeds) of the Apricot tree fruit which is officially called Prunus armeniaca (meaning Armenian plum). Indeed, according to some archaeological data, Armenia may be the birthplace of this noble fruit. However, this status is also claimed by India and China since the healing properties of the apricot kernel oil were already mentioned in the recipes of the ancient oriental medicine.
Be that as it may, beneficial properties of the apricot kernel oil were discovered thousands of years ago. Let’s take a look at it from today’s point of view and see what the value of this product is for the skin.
Benefits of using apricot kernel oil
In addition to the nutritional properties of all vegetable oils, the focus of this article possesses some other:
- wound healing;
How it affects your skin?
Apricot kernel oil belongs to the lightweight oils, which means it is skin-friendly and does not create that greasy feeling on your face after use. It is well absorbed into the lipid layer of your skin, softening, moistening, and restoring it.
The composition of the apricot kernel oil is rich in many useful substances. It is second to no other oils and has even more benefits containing a whole range of nutrients.
- Unsaturated fatty acids (linolenic, oleic, palmitic, linoleic, stearic) repair the lipid barrier of the skin and prevent epidermal dehydration.
- Vitamin E, also known as “Vitamin Youth”, works as a powerful antioxidant, increasing the elasticity and resistance of the skin.
- Vitamin A (retinol) is one of the most effective anti-aging ingredients.
- Vitamin C is the number one antioxidant, which also has the ability to fight hyperpigmentation and signs of photoaging.
- Magnesium and potassium are trace elements that have a soothing effect, thanks to which the oil of the apricot kernel is well tolerated by sensitive or irritated skin.
Due to its lightness and multi-purposeness, the apricot kernel oil is widely used in the beauty industry.
Apricot Kernel Oil: Face
It can be found in the formulas:
- for dry, aged, sensitive and irritated skin;
- in day antioxidant creams;
- in night regenerating creams.
- Ultra Facial Moisturizer, Kiehl’s is a facial fluid, which would be particularly pleasing for dry skin. The product absorbs instantly, and squalane, apricot kernel oil, and avocado nourish and protect the epidermis, preventing dehydration.
- Cream for normal and dry skin Substiane, La Roche-Posay increases the density of the skin due to the effective concentration of the anti-aging ingredients of proxilane and linactyl. It softens and eliminates the dryness. The product contains avocado and apricot kernel oil
- Nutrilogie 2, Vichy protects very dry skin and repair the protective barrier, creating the conditions for the production of the skin natural lipids. It contains glycerin and a light nutritious oil complex: those of apricot, jojoba and macadamia nut.
Apricot Kernel Oil: Cleansing
- Ultra Facial Cleanser, Kiehl’s effectively and gently dissolves the makeup and dirt without overdrying or stripping In addition to apricot oil, squalane, vitamins E and C, and glycerin are also on the ingredients list.
- Biosource Total Renew Oil, Biotherm is foaming when mixed with water, removing makeup and impurities with the help of natural botanical oils (passion fruit, apricot, rice bran, corn) and an extract of Saccharina latissima.
Apricot Kernel Oil: Hands & Body
The apricot kernel oil plays an important role when added in moisturizing and nourishing formulas for the dry, flaky hand and body skin, as well as in spa rituals, as it has a light smooth texture and a pleasant aroma.
- Body balm Oil Therapy Baume Corps, Biotherm contains oils and vitamins and is well distributed over the skin giving it a silky texture, preventing flaking and dehydration. Apply immediately after the shower. And it smells like apricots.
- Nurturing Oil For Mom&Baby, Kiehl’s is another proof that the apricot kernel oil does not cause even sensitive skin to irritate. The product is intended for both babies and their mothers for soothing skin a comfort feeling.
- Intensive nutrition revitalizing hand cream Nutrix Royal Mains, Lancôme nourishes not only the skin but cuticle and prevents dryness due to the combination of shea butter, corn oil, soybean oil, rice oil, passionflower seeds oil and, of course, apricot kernel oil.
Apricot Kernel Oil: Hair
Among its advantages is an excellent percolating ability. This means the oil can nourish and condition the hair cuticle without any greasiness, which is very important for those with thinner hair. Besides, apricot kernel oil has a beneficial effect on the scalp and is used for the treatment of dry seborrhea, which is accompanied by itch and discomfort.
- Mask for keeping the color of dyed hair with sunflower oil Sunflower Color Preserving Deep Recovery Pak, Kiehl’s is sunflower and apricot oils-based. It strengthens hair, prevents dryness and fade of color.
- Soothing care shampoo for dry hair Dercos, Vichy helps to reduce the feeling of itch and burn on the scalp, strengthens hair, repairing the cuticle and the protective layer of a hair. The formula includes glycerin that attracts water into your hair and nourishing apricot kernel oil.